Replacing sugary drinks
Sugary drinks are linked with excess weight in children.
They include fizzy drinks, squashes, cordials and juice drinks. Milk and water are the best choices.
- If your family loves soft drinks or other sweetened drinks, reduce them gradually.
- Start by adding plenty of water to cordials and squashes.
- Add extra water each time to squashes and cordials to reduce your child’s taste for sweetness.
- Keep sweetened drinks for the weekend.
- Make water freely available between meals.
- Water is tastier when it’s cold: put a jug of water in the fridge
- Add a slice of lime, lemon or orange to give it flavour and colour.
How much sugar is in your child's drink?
This table shows how much sugar is in commonly available sugary drinks. Click on the image to open a larger version.