How to cook fish safely
Healthy and delicious, fish is also incredibly versatile.
Points to remember when cooking fish
- Any harmful bacteria will be on the outside of the fish, and not in the middle. So, you can cook whole fish to preference or pink in the middle, as long as the outside is fully cooked.
- Products made from minced fish, such as fish cakes, must be cooked thoroughly to make them safe to eat. This is because they can contain harmful bacteria throughout.
Once you have chosen your fish, when it comes to cooking it you can choose from:
The healthiest ways to cook fish
- Bake or grill your fish, as fried fish is much higher in fat, especially if it is coated in batter.
- Try not to add any salt to your fish. Sometimes all fish needs is a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to taste great!
Is there anything else I should do when handling fish?
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling raw fish. This prevents the spread of bacteria.
- Use separate utensils for raw or partially-cooked and cooked fish.