Fats, spreads and oils
Some fat is needed in our diet to stay healthy.
Eating too much or the wrong types can be unhealthy as all fats are high in calories.
- Use small amounts of fats
- Choose mono or polyunsaturated reduced fat or light spreads
- Choose rapeseed, olive, canola, sunflower or corn oils
- Limit the amount of mayonnaise, coleslaw and salad dressings as they contain oil
- Grill, bake, steam, boil or stir-fry instead of frying and deep frying
What is a serving?
- If using butter, spread lightly
- 1 portion pack of reduced-fat or light spread for 2 slices of bread
- Use one teaspoon of oil per person when cooking or in salad dressing
Download: Fats, Spreads, and Oils fact sheet