Prep Time:45 mins
- Heat the oven to 180C / fan 160C / gas 4 and line the base and sides of a 1.5 litre loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 15g butter in a large frying pan and cook 1 finely chopped large onion and 2 finely chopped celery sticks for about 5 mins until beginning to soften.
- Stir in 2 finely chopped garlic cloves and 200g finely chopped chestnut mushrooms and cook for a further 10 mins.
- Stir in 1 finely diced red pepper and 1 grated carrot and cook for about 3 mins then add 1 tsp dried oregano and 1 tsp smoked paprika and cook for just a minute.
- Add 100g red lentils and 2 tbsp tomato purée and cook for about 1 min, then add 300ml vegetable stock and simmer over a very gentle heat until all the liquid has been absorbed and the mixture is fairly dry. This should take about 25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Finally, stir in 100g fresh breadcrumbs, 100g chopped mixed nuts, 3 lightly beaten large eggs, 80g grated mature cheddar, a handful of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley and a pinch of salt and some ground black pepper.
- Stir to mix well then spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and press down the surface.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 mins, then remove the foil and bake for a further 20 mins until firm when pressed gently.