Ultimate basic muffins
Enjoy as they are or personalise these muffins however you like!
About this recipe
Adapted from 101 Square Meals.
- 2 medium eggs
- 125ml of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 250ml of milk (low-fat works fine)
- 250g of golden castor sugar
- 400g of self-raising flour (or 400g plain flour and 3 teaspoons of baking powder)
- Heat oven to 180°C fan or Gas Mark 6.
- Line 2 muffin trays with paper muffin cases.
- Beat the eggs lightly with a wooden spoon for about one minute.
- Add the oil and the milk and beat until mixed.
- Add the sugar and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Sift in the flour and salt and mix until smooth. Don't over mix.
- At this stage, gently mix in whatever other ingredients you decide to use - or you can just leave them plain.
- Fill muffin cases two-thirds full and bake for 20-25 minutes, until they are risen.
- Cool on a wire tray.
What you will need
- Medium muffin tray
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
For fruit muffins: Use 3 dessertspoons of the following: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, cubed apple and cinnamon.
For Christmas muffins: Add a good handful of cranberries, a teaspoon of cinnamon and mixed spice, and use brown sugar instead of white.
For lemon muffins: Add juice and rind of 1 lemon (use slightly less milk).
For jam and coconut muffins: Add 3 dessertspoons of desiccated coconut to the mixture, and place a teaspoon of raspberry jam to the top of each muffin before you put them in the oven.