Eating as a family
Children who eat with their families tend to have healthier diets.
Eating as a family is a great way to have some quality time together too. Here’s how to make the most of family meals:
- Keep it simple - Make one meal for all the family.
- Get the kids involved - Once old enough, involve the kids in picking the meals, preparing and cooking the food, setting the table and clearing up. This makes them feel like they are in control.
- Switch off the TV - Make mealtimes a screen-free zone. Use the time to talk about your days and the food you are eating.
- Be flexible - Family life is busy. From work to after-school pick-ups and sports and activities, meal times need to be flexible. Plan to have meals at a time when most of the family can be there.
- Be a role model - Serve healthy meals and have the kids see you eating healthy foods. Children learn from the adults in their lives.