- Rinse the rice well in a sieve and then add to a pan of 250ml of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for 25 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave to sit for another 10 minutes for perfectly cooked rice.
- Spread the rice out on a tray and allow to cool to prevent further cooking.
- To make the satay sauce, mix two teaspoons of soy sauce in a small bowl with the peanut butter, vinegar, one tablespoon of water and the seasame seeds, if using. Set aside until needed.
- Break off the broccoli florets. Trim the mushrooms and cut into slices.
- Heat a wok or large non-stick pan over a medium heat. Dry roast the cashew nuts, tossing regularly until evenly coloured. Tip on the chopping board and once cooled, roughly chopped.
- Add one teaspoon of the oil to the wok and swirl up the sides, then tip in the broccoli and mushrooms and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until tender. Tip on a plate and set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil to the wok. Add the cooked rice and warm through. Break the egg into a bowl and lightly beat, then make a well in the centre of the rice and add the egg.
- Leave for 20 seconds until it starts to set and then begin to gently break up with a wooden spoon and toss until evenly combined.
- Return the cooked vegetables to the wok with the cashew nuts and sprinkle over the remaining teaspoon of soy sauce.
- Toss until evenly combined and divide among bowls and drizzle over the satay sauce to serve.