Prep Time:15 mins
- Preheat oven to 180˚C / 350°F / Gas mark 4.
- Wash, and peel the carrots. Cut into sticks, each about 2 inches long and ¼ inch thick and place into a roasting tin.
- Cut the potatoes in half and add into the roasting tin.
- Quarter the red onions and add into the roasting tin.
- Toss the potatoes, carrots, and red onions in half the olive oil. Add the thyme, and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from its wrapping and dispose of it straight away.
- Remove the bag of giblets from the cavity of the bird if there are any. It should say on the packaging if giblets are included.
- Place the bird directly into a roasting tin on top of the potatoes and vegetables with its breast-side up.
- Pour the remaining olive oil over the chicken and season with salt
- Place the roasting tin on an oven rack in the middle part of the oven.
- Roast the chicken for 20 minutes for every pound in weight and 20 minutes over. Use a meat thermometer to check that meat is cooked. Remove the chicken from the oven and insert a clean thermometer probe into the thickest part of the chicken, between the breast and the leg. It is fully cooked when the temperature reaches 75ºC. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, check there’s no pink meat, the juices run clear when a sharp knife is inserted into the joint between the body and the thigh, and the meat is piping hot.
- Remove chicken from oven, cover loosely with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving.