- Remove the chicken from the fridge and cut into slices, then arrange on two plates. Set aside at room temperature until needed.
- Peel the potatoes and using a sharp knife, cut into even-sized dice. Put into a saucepan half filled with water and a pinch of salt, if using. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10-12 minutes until completely tender.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrots and cut into thin slices. Steam the carrots along with the peas until they are tender.
- Meanwhile, mash the potatoes using a potato masher then beat in the butter and milk with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Put the mashed potatoes on the plates along with the chicken and cover with tin foil. Keep warm in a low oven at 110°C/225°F/Gas Mark 1/4.
- Make up the gravy granules according to packet instructions in a small pan on the hob.
- Check that the vegetables are cooked and if they are, take the chicken and mashed potatoes out of the oven with oven gloves and tip on the carrots and peas. Pour over the gravy and serve at once.