Our changing foods: New protein sources
This webinar will provide food businesses with an overview of new sources of food protein from plants and animals and the potential risks these can present to food hypersensitive consumers.
This webinar will be presented by Dr Maria Hayes, Senior scientific research officer, Food BioSciences Department, Teagasc
The webinar will cover the following topics:
- Novel protein sources and the protein “shift”
- Extraction and characterisation of novel proteins for use in foods and feed
- Product development using novel proteins of marine origin
- Examples of novel proteins in foods and feed
- In silico strategies to determine protein safety for consumption
- Environmental and socio-economic considerations concerning novel protein use
- Potential positive and negative impacts of novel protein use
Maria works extensively on method development for the recovery of food ingredients such as proteins and biomolecules from marine, dairy, plant and animal by-products or co-products generated during food processing. She has published over 100 academic papers, many of which concern the utilisation of marine resources including seaweed, by-products/co-products and raw materials of marine and meat processing. Maria is also a member of the European Chitin Society (EUCHIS) and the WG leader on EUALGAE and is a member of the EU COST actions imPARAS and EU ALGAE. She is currently the chief coordinator of several projects in Ireland including BRAVO, FISHBOWL, MUSSELS and BRAVO 2 and four EU projects (IDEA, MEESO and SEASOLUTIONS and Algae4IBD) which deal with development of economic viable marine-based value chains.
This webinar will be of interest to food businesses, and anyone with an interest in food allergen control.
Register for this event
safefood is committed to complying with all relevant Data Protection legislation and will only use your information for the purpose for which it was collected. For full details on how safefood uses your information, please click here