Media's Influence on Us
The lesson objectives are:
Explain what persuasion is and how it works.
Recognise that media can be a source of information.
MediaWise for First and Second Class should enable the children to:
- Name some different types of media and recognise the different media they encounter on a regular basis.
- Describe what advertising is and recognise that advertising is everywhere .
- Understand that advertising tries to do one of four things:
- Tell us something we need to know.
- Persuade us to buy a product.
- Persuade us to change our behaviour.
- Put forward a point of view.
- Describe what the basic emotions (happy, sad, angry, bored, surprised, scared) might ‘look’ like and understand emotions as they are presented visually in the media.
- Understand how some people like the same things as us but for different reasons.
- Understand what an assumption is, to recognise the assumptions made in some toy advertising and name a few other assumptions made in the media.
- Understand that persuasion means to talk someone into doing or thinking something and to understand how persuasion works.
- Describe everyday examples of information that they come across and suggest the sources of this information.