Media's Influence on Us
The lesson objectives are:
Link an emotional reaction to an advertisement with an action.
Design an information media campaign to show how media can be a source of information and makes the world a smaller place.
MediaWise for Third and Fourth Class should enable the children:
- To name some different types of media and recognise the different media they encounter on a regular basis.
- To describe what advertising is and recognise that advertising is everywhere.
- To understand that advertising tries to do one of four things:
- Tell us something we need to know.
- Persuade us to buy a product.
- Persuade us to change our behaviour.
- Put forward a point of view.
- To understand that everyone has a point of view.
- To recognise some of the different elements that are used in the media.
- To explain how these elements affect our emotions.
- To understand that advertisements are meant to make us feel a particular way.
- To explain what a need and what a want is, and the difference between them.
- To recognise that different media target different groups of people (audiences.)
- To find hidden messages and advertising in the media.
- To understand the concept of stereotypes and stereotyping.
- To link an emotional reaction to an advertisement with an action.
- To understand how media can be a source of information and makes the world a smaller place.
- To explore misinformation and what you can trust online use this lesson from Webwise’s HTML Heroes resource.