The Message and Emotion Behind the Media
The lesson objectives are:
Recognise how some advertising can use emotions to influence whether we want or need something.
Understand that the media industry has to follow a set of rules, and be able to explain why they are necessary.
MediaWise for Fifth and Sixth Class should enable the children to:
- Understand that media carries a ‘message’ and understand that advertisement is trying to do one of four things:
- Tell us something we need to know.
- Persuade us to buy a product.
- Persuade us to change our behaviour.
- Put forward a point of view.
- Assess points of view presented in the media and choose to agree or disagree with them, for example different viewpoints regarding children’s usage of modern media.
- Recognise how some advertising can use emotions to influence whether we want or need something.
- To understand that the media industry has to follow a set of rules, and be able to explain why they are necessary.
- To evaluate the influence of hidden messages in the media & distinguish different viewpoints regarding the debate about media in modern society, and children’s usage of it.
- To recognise the use of stereotyping in the media.
- To compare how different audiences might react to the same advertisement and recognise and appreciate how media can be a source of information, and misinformation.
- To consider that media gives us a voice.
- To create an information media campaign using that voice.