The Message and Emotion Behind the Media
The lesson objectives are:
Identify the basic emotions we feel (happy, sad, angry, bored, surprised, scared) and suggest what these basic emotions might “look” like.
Understand what a need and what a want is and the difference between them.
MediaWise for Junior and Senior Infants should enable the children to:
- Name some different types of media
- Describe what advertising is
- Identify the basic emotions (happy, sad, angry, bored, surprised, scared) we feel
- Understand the difference between needing something and wanting it
- Describe and share why they like a particular television programme
- Understand that the interests of all children are different, that the media makes assumptions about the likes and preferences of girls or boys based on their gender alone
- Understand that persuasion means to talk someone into doing or thinking something
- Understand that advertisements can be set in the real or an imaginary world or a mixture of both
- Recognise that children may like advertisements that are set in an imaginary world