Who is the Target?
The lesson objectives are:
Evaluate the influence of hidden messages in the media & distinguish different viewpoints regarding the debate about media in modern society, and children’s usage of it.
Recognise the use of stereotyping in the media.
MediaWise for Fifth and Sixth Class should enable the children to:
- Understand that media carries a ‘message’ and understand that advertisement is trying to do one of four things:
- Tell us something we need to know.
- Persuade us to buy a product.
- Persuade us to change our behaviour.
- Put forward a point of view.
- Assess points of view presented in the media and choose to agree or disagree with them, for example different viewpoints regarding children’s usage of modern media.
- Recognise how some advertising can use emotions to influence whether we want or need something.
- To understand that the media industry has to follow a set of rules, and be able to explain why they are necessary.
- To evaluate the influence of hidden messages in the media & distinguish different viewpoints regarding the debate about media in modern society, and children’s usage of it.
- To recognise the use of stereotyping in the media.
- To compare how different audiences might react to the same advertisement and recognise and appreciate how media can be a source of information, and misinformation.
- To consider that media gives us a voice.
- To create an information media campaign using that voice.