Iodine status on the island of Ireland
Aims and objectives
- Provide an insight into the current iodine status on the island if Ireland and to identify the main dietary and other determinants of urinary iodine status.
- Investigate trends in iodine status over time using the thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) test results of babies born throughout the island of Ireland between 2000 and 2014.
The objectives of the project were to
- Assess the iodine status (by measurement of urinary iodine concentration) of 14- to 15-year-old females from 7 sample sites across the island of Ireland.
- Investigate the environmental availability of iodine, during each sampling phase.
- Examine dietary and other determinants of urinary iodine status.
- Examine regional and seasonal variation in the iodine content of milk throughout the island of Ireland.
- Measure neonatal blood TSH on the island of Ireland.
- Investigate trends over time in neonatal TSH results.