The Message and Emotion Behind the Media
The lesson objectives are:
Recognise a range of emotions as they are presented in the media and understand that we react emotionally to some advertisements.
Identify some of the different elements that are used in the media.
MediaWise for First and Second Class should enable the children:
- To name some different types of media and recognise the different media they encounter on a regular basis.
- To describe what advertising is and recognise that advertising is everywhere.
- To understand that advertising tries to do one of four things:
- Tell us something we need to know.
- Persuade us to buy a product.
- Persuade us to change our behaviour.
- Put forward a point of view.
- To understand that everyone has a point of view.
- To recognise some of the different elements that are used in the media.
- To explain how these elements affect our emotions.
- To understand that advertisements are meant to make us feel a particular way.
- To explain what a need and what a want is, and the difference between them.
- To recognise that different media target different groups of people (audiences.)
- To find hidden messages and advertising in the media.
- To understand the concept of stereotypes and stereotyping.
- To link an emotional reaction to an advertisement with an action.
- To understand how media can be a source of information and makes the world a smaller place.